Hello There

My thoughts about Traditional Witchcraft, Wicca, cooking, gardening, and anything else that catches my fancy.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Van Van Oil!

Since I had a lot of free time today (and, well, everyday) I thought I'd mix up my first batch of Van Van Oil. If you don't know, Van Van's a traditional Hoodoo condition oil used to attract luck, money, and love and repel evil magic and ill fortune. The recipe I got came from Judika Illes and uses essential oils instead of powdered botanicals, so not sure how traditional that part is. However, I've used the time-honoured ingredients and I'm quite pleased with how it came out.

I used the following:

1oz/1tbs. Sunflower Oil
1oz/1 tbs. Jojoba Oil
2 drops Palmarosa essential oil
2 drops Citronella essential oil
2 drops Vetiver essential oil (this stuff is very thick and hard to get out of the bottle)
4 drops Lemongrass essential oil

The recipe also called for Gingergrass oil, but I couldn't find any and thought I'd try and get by without.

I mixed the base oils in a small, cobalt blue dropped bottle, and then added the essential oils drop by drop, swirling the bottle after each addition. The final result smells quite strongly of the Lemongrass, but that's what you want. I took a few pics of the process; but only two really turned out properly so I'm going to share them here.....
















Above, you can see that my work table really is a WORK table; messy, but then again it's not there to look pretty

















Above, the finished result. I like to use cobalt bottles, because they keep out the light (which can degrade essential oils)

Hope y'all like!

No comments:

Post a Comment