Hello There

My thoughts about Traditional Witchcraft, Wicca, cooking, gardening, and anything else that catches my fancy.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Super Easy Sour Cream Chocolate Cake...AND Some News

Is there anything better than chocolate cake? Well, how about SOUR CREAM CHOCOLATE CAKE! This recipe is one of my favourites, because it's super easy, only uses one bowl more or less, and the result is a very rich, moist, gooey cake with a nice "kick" to it courtesy of the sour cream. Unfortunately, this particular cake I made for a family member to give away, so I don't have pics of the finished product, but I'll make another one soon and post them then.


Preheat oven to 350, and grease and flour a 9X13 inch cake pan. You will need:

1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt 2/3 cup butter, softened
2 cups sour cream 2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Add the softened butter, eggs, vanilla, and sour cream and beat for about 3 minutes, scraping bowl as needed with spatula. The batter will be quite thick and sticky, similar to brownie batter. Scrape into pan and bake for between 40 and 45 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.


















For the frosting, you'll need:
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips 1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sour cream 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/4 powdered sugar

In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate chips over a low flame and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl, and beat in the sour cream and vanilla. Next, add UP TO 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar. The recipe calls for this much, but I find that much powdered sugar makes the frosting too "powdery" so I usually don't end up adding more than about 2 cups. Beat until light and fluffy. It should be sticky but spreadable.

















I can't tell you how fast and easy this cake is, or how good. I love sour cream anything, and this is no exception.

In other news, I may have an opportunity to train with a long-established Witchcraft group in the near future. Nothing's definite yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed because it would be a rare, and amazing, opportunity. Here's hoping it goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment