Hello There

My thoughts about Traditional Witchcraft, Wicca, cooking, gardening, and anything else that catches my fancy.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Best Magic Wands

I confess, I have a "thing" for wands.  Out of all the magical tools, I use wands the most.  Why?  I think it has to do with my love of wood and trees; every tree has its own magical specialty, and though I do use "traditional" sources to determine what those might be, I also enjoy exploring for myself what one can do with, say, Apple wood.  Also, I just like the look of the various woods, and the amount of personalization you can get by adding on various woodburnings and crystals.

Anyway, the supplier I use most these days is Wands of Avalon, which I'd like to share with you today.  A month or so back in my blog, you can see the beautiful custom Blackthorn wand Joy at WOA made for me.  This time around, I'm having a Hazel one made, as Hazel is supposed to be the best all-purpose wand wood (I actually have a Hazel wand already, from elsewhere, but I just don't think it's got the "feel" I am looking for.) Hazel, a pale, creamy wood, is meant to be the tree of wisdom, knowledge, and inspiration.  In legend, the Hazelnuts from the tree's branches and are eaten by the Salmon of Knowledge.  Hazel and Hazelnuts are also associated with Halloween and divination.

I think what I like best about the wands from Wands of Avalon are how simple, and yet how beautiful, they are. Many still have portions of their bark on them, but the bark has been sanded and smoothed until it takes on a glassy sheen.  All have special runes burned into them, and some have lovely, natural crystals.  They feel like powerful, serious tools of magic and not like "Harry Potter" toys, as some other crafters' do.

Here are a few pics of wands I have from Wands of Avalon.  For the record, I don't have any financial stake in them or ulterior motives in recommending them.  I just feel that, when you find something good, you should share it.  And, of course, I want them to do well so they can provide quality magical goods for years to come.  Here is the link, if you'd care to have one for yourself: Wands of Avalon

Enjoy!

This Hazel wand is similar to the custom one I am ordering

This Blackthorn wand is mine, custom made for me

Joy from WOA shows off runic details on an Ash wand

No comments:

Post a Comment