Hello There

My thoughts about Traditional Witchcraft, Wicca, cooking, gardening, and anything else that catches my fancy.

Friday, March 18, 2011

The Moon, Blackthorn, and a Birthday Party



If you don't know (and if you don't, you should!) tomorrow is the Full Moon, and it's going to be what's known as a "Super Moon." It's the closest the Moon will be to us for years and years, and will appear much, much larger than normal. Some fear this may cause natural disasters (and, lo and behold, look at what's been happening) but for us Witches, it will also be a time of great power. I've got some new tools I need to consecrate, and I can't think of a better time to do so.

Speaking of new tools, Joy over at Wands of Avalon has made me a new wand from Blackthorn, and it's absolutely breathtaking. We can't grow Blackthorn in the US, or at least not in Texas, but it's an incredibly traditional wood to use for magical tools, and having used it before, I know it carried a tremendous punch. In the old days, Witches would use it for what are called "Blasting rods," which were traditionally associated with curses, but which could be used for positive ends (banishing evil, sending forth positive power) as well. This wand is wood burned with several symbols I requested, and she's also added some beautiful, thorny Blackthorn branches around it. Here's a couple of pics for you to be jealous of me over (she was kind enough to give me permission to use them here):


















































In other news, yours truly is going to be turning somewhere between the ages of 20 and 35 on Tuesday, so I'm doing a party for myself tomorrow. Not going to be a huge deal; a few friends coming over, we're going out to eat at my favourite home style eatery, Celebration and then coming back to my (tiny) place for drinks and movies and cake. Rather than buy some costly cake, I decided to make my own, since at least then I know it will be good (I waited too long to order from the best cake place around.) I always love my parties, but I never do TOO much because I get tired. I'm going to have to be cleaning, cleaning, cleaning today, but I'll post pics of the party after it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment