Hello There

My thoughts about Traditional Witchcraft, Wicca, cooking, gardening, and anything else that catches my fancy.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Tragedy in Japan

I'm sure we've all been watching the horrible tragedy in Japan with baited breath. Not only was the earthquake severe, but the ensuing tsunamis did as much if not more damage and will probably have caused the most fatalities. Sadly, more may be yet to come. I saw on the news this morning that one of their nuclear plants had exploded because the cooling components had been disabled by the quake, and they've been unable to fix it. Radiation levels are already skyrocketing, and the air and soil may be poisoned for many, many years in the area around the disaster. My thoughts and prayers go out to the people who've been hurt or who've lost loved ones or their homes in the disaster, and I also pray that the souls of those who've died my peacefully find their way to the Spirit World.

Events like this remind us that, as much as we might like to imagine that we're "in control" of the Earth, we're really only one aspect of the entire system. When earthquakes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters happen, they're only "bad" from our viewpoint and experiences; they're not an evil, but a necessary function of the Earth. While I would never try to minimize the sufferings of those affected by events like these, if anything good can come from it, I would hope it would be that we'd be reminded that we must try and live in harmony with the Earth and its cycles, and not against them.

I'm sure the coming days will reveal in detail just how bad things are overseas (and at home; a small coastal town in California was devastated by a tsunami) and I'm sure we'll all do whatever we can to help those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment