Hello There

My thoughts about Traditional Witchcraft, Wicca, cooking, gardening, and anything else that catches my fancy.

Monday, September 12, 2011

The Harvest Moon, and a Moon Prayer

Today is the Harvest Moon, which is the Full Moon closest to the Autumnal Equinox (the equinox this year falls on September 23rd.) Traditionally, the name "Harvest Moon" comes from its association with farming; because the Moon was felt to rise early at this time, there was not a period of darkness after sunset, and the Moon's light was able to help farmers work longer. Of course, the Autumn Equinox itself is celebrated by many Witches as one of the harvest Sabbats.

I thought I'd include here one of my favourite prayers to the Moon. Composed by Doreen Valiente, it definitely catches the feeling and power of this magical time. I'll be using this evening's Moon to craft more holy water, as well as for some spellwork and general celebration. I hope everyone has a wonderful Harvest Moon!

"Invocation of the Moon Goddess"
Diana, Queen of Night,
In all your beauty bright,
Shine on us here.
And with your silver beam,
Unlock the gate of dream,
Rise bright and clear.
On Earth and Sky and Sea,
Your magic mystery,
Its spell shall cast.
Wherever leaf may grow,
Wherever tide my flow,
Till all be past.
O Secret Queen of Power,
At this enchanted hour,
We ask your boon.
May Fortune's Favour fall,
Upon true Witches all,
O Lady Moon!

-Doreen Valiente

No comments:

Post a Comment